The story of the most popular Christmas song

The story of the most popular Christmas song 

In 1831 in Germany "Silent night, holy night ..." appeared simultaneously in two song collections in Berlin and Dresden. Both place the name of the author writes: "The authors of the text and music are unknown." Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV you first heard in the winter of 1853. He so liked the Christmas song that called courtiers concertmaster and commanded him: "I find the author of the song!" The order of the king, however, still remained pending for a year and only one fluke enigma found its solution in December 1854.
    Director of the Austrian people Salzburg, former concertmaster of the best known of the Prussian court, scolded one of the boys Felix Gruber, who he constantly sang wrong already popular Christmas song. On his remark made by the head of youth people responded very confidently and with pride: "At home we always sing" Silent Night "just this way. My father better than you know how to sing properly. Right at the end of all, he wrote that song. "
    Surprised by the news director of people throw away all the commitments went to Halyayn where Gruber lived family and assured that the local organist and choir director of 67-year-old Franz Gruber is really unknown author of the mysterious music of "Silent night, holy night ...", sought by order of the Prussian king. For the author of the text Gruber named his friend, the priest Joseph Mohr.
   Of course, creating this much loved Christmas song telling all sorts of stories, funny and unusual.
   On December 23, 1818 Assistant Vicar of the church "Saint Nicholas" in Oberndorf, a village 20 km from Salzburg, Josef Mohr with horror discovered that mice pregrizli mechanisms of the body. What to do? Do you have a Nativity meat without music! And then a church employee came up saving thought: "You have our solemn song!"
   On paper, almost on foot, he threw a few verses and endured to the neighboring town of Arnsdorf, where he lived the teacher and organist Gruber. After a long musician arrangements agreed to help his friend and wrote verses to a tune that should be performed by two soloists and chorus to the accompaniment of guitar.

 

The truth in this story is that "Silent night, holy night ..." really sounded for the first time on December 24, 1818 under the vault of St. Nicholas Church in Oberndorf.Later Carl Mauher, master of the authorities several times visited the church to remonitra body. Working there, he found a copy of the composition and then took home. So Christmas song quickly spread first in Austria and then in neighboring Germany. It is true that many years continued to find it Tyrolean folk song "dubious origin".
   The history of the song is very simple and this is part of the miracle.
The German text was written by Josef Mohr early 1816, when he was a young priest assigned to the church in Marifar, Austria. We have no notion what inspired Mohr to pen his poetic version of the birth of Christ. Is not the words arranged during their regular walks in the beautiful countryside or on the road to the house of his grandfather, who lived nearby. The good news is that it has forgotten its composition, when a year is returned to Oberndorf.
   Gruber the organist was lucky though and late goals from 36 years of glory came to him and the end of his days he spent in a well-deserved honor. The author of Moore's poems, however, did not wait to become famous. In 1848, 56 years old, he died in poverty. But the memory of both authors is alive now. In Oberndorf in Salzburg on the Church of St. Nicholas can be seen the inscription: "The teacher Franz Gruber set up here on December 24, 1818 melody, and Vicar Josef Mohr wrote also here the text of the song" Silent night, holy night ...".
Today the song is the most popular Christmas song of all continents. Pretaryala is over 300 translations published in over 180 versions of 121 languages. No famous singer who has not met her once. Written by an unknown musician and a humble vicar, divine its message crosses boundaries and touches the hearts of men everywhere.
Church "St. Nikolay" Square "Roemer" in Oberndorf no longer stands in the same place, but for tourists and pilgrims have specially built chapel and museum.

« back to articles