Articles (Historic Landmarks)

 

Find your topic of interest in the categories

Arapovo Monastery "Holy Sunday" – Monasteries - 05 July 2011

Arapovo Monastery "Holy Sunday" – Monasteries

Arapovo monastery "Holy Sunday" is located 8 km. Northeast of ASENOVGRAD near the village Zlatovrah (Arapovo). "Holy Sunday" is one of the few monasteries in Bulgaria, which were built in the field and not in defense of the mountain. Unique, the monastery was built during the Ottoman rule of Bulgaria. According to legend, the water from the holy spring of the monastery cured favorite local Turkish ruler Arap Bey and grateful that he donated land around the spring and allowed the construction of a monastery. Initially the monastery was founded as a monastic dormitory near the holy spring in 1856 until 1863 into a thorough monastery complex. It was built with donations from patriotic citizens of Plovdiv as a counteraction to the assimilation attempts of the Greek Church.      The...

» read more

The Glozhene monastery St. George the Victorious - Monasterias - 24 June 2011

The Glozhene monastery St. George the Victorious - Monasterias

The Glozhene monastery St. George the Victorious is located amid the natural beaties of the Northern Balkan mountains. Despite its name, it is in fact closer to the village of Malak Izvor, than to the neoghbouring village of Glozhene. It is built right on top of a mount and resembles a castle when viewed from a distance. According to the monastery’s annals, the cloister was built in the 13th century by the Ukrainian prince Glozh, who settled in the area with the agreement and help of the Bulgarian king Ivan Assen II. Close to the village of Glozhene (named after him) and the river of Cherni Vit, Prince Glozh established a cloister, dedicated to St George the Victorious, an icon of whom he carried with him on all the way from the Ukrainian lands.      ...

» read more

Basarbovo Monastery - Monasteries - 19 June 2011

Basarbovo Monastery - Monasteries

    The rock monastery “St Dimitrii of Basarbovo” is situated in the picturesque valley of the Rusenski Lom River amidst a number of rock cloisters. It lies about 10km away from the town of Rousse and carries the name of a near-by village. The earliest historical records for the monastery date back to the 15th century and are found in some Ottoman Empire’s tax registers. A description of a land property (so-called “timar”), owned by the Wallachian leader Ivanko Basarab, father-in-law of Tsar Ivan Alexander, is found in one such register. This “timar” is the first written document that mentions the name of the village of Basarbovo as “the Basarab monastery”. In 1911, a Committee on Historical Remains was established at...

» read more

Bakadzhishki Monastery - "St. Spas" - Monasteries - 19 June 2011

Bakadzhishki Monastery - "St. Spas" - Monasteries

The Bakadzhik monastery “St. Spas” is situated above the town of Yambol, on the northern slope of the first peak of the Bakadzhik part of the Sredna Gora mountain – St. Spas. It was built right after the Liberation war between Russia and the Ottoman Empire in the place of a monastery that had been destroyed during the April Uprising (1876). The Bakadzhik monastery is erected around the Alexander Nevski church-monument that represents the first church built in Bulgaria as a sign of gratitude to the Russian nation for its role in the liberation of Bulgaria from Turkish rule. In the beginning of 1879, a Russian General, Skobelev-Junior, who had dislocated his troops near Yambol, discussed with citizens of Yamol an idea to build a church in the memory of the Russian soldiers...

» read more

Arbanasi Monastery - Monasteries - 19 June 2011

Arbanasi Monastery - Monasteries

     The St. Virgin Mary convent can be found at the very beginning of the Arbanasi village, which in turn is situated 5 km away from Veliko Turnovo on the road to Gorna Oryahovitsa. It is one of the cloisters scattered around the former capital of Bulgaria, which hold painful memories of the Turks’ invasion in Bulgaria. A visit of this monastery can be a part of a nice day off or a weekend in the ancient village of Arbanasi. Another monastery, St Nikola lies at the other end of the village and can complement a visit in the neighbourhood. The St Virgin Mary cloister was established at the time of the second Bulgarian state, which ended with the fall under Ottoman rule in the end of the 14th century. As soon as the Tsarevets fortress of the Bulgarian king (in the nearby...

» read more