Articles (Historic Landmarks)

 

Find your topic of interest in the categories

Bulgarian Orthodox Church - Temples - 15 February 2013

Bulgarian Orthodox Church - Temples

     The need for church organization of the Bulgarian lands, independent of thePatriarchate of Constantinople, occurred with the conversion of the Bulgarians in 864Knyaz Boris I (852-889) managed to create such a church organization, by means ofdiplomacy and maneuvering between Eastern and Western churches. At first this proved impossible and it must be reconciled with the Archbishop and the higherclergy of Greek origin (although directly under the prince), and the worship of theGreek language.       People's Assembly of Preslav, convened in 893 along with a selection...

» read more

Zheravna - Architectural Reserve - 22 July 2012

Zheravna - Architectural Reserve

Zheravna Village is located 16 km southeast of Kotel in the foothills of the EasternBalkan Mountains. The settlement appeared in XII-XIV century. In the XVIII century, a crafts and cultural center.Today Zheravna is famous architectural reserve. There are more than 200 wooden houses (each monument), built during the Renaissance.Some of them are more than 300 years. Preserved Renaissance look is authenticnarrow cobbled streets, one-or two-storey wooden houses surrounded by stone walls.   Here is the home of the great Bulgarian writer Yordan Yovkov, which is an expositionof his papers and manuscripts. The interior of the house is preserved and feelsauthentic atmosphere of the past.         (function (d, w, c) { ...

» read more

The two old capital of Bulgaria - Pliska and Veliki Preslav - 22 July 2012

The two old capital of Bulgaria - Pliska and Veliki Preslav

     When the founder of Bulgaria Hahn Asparuh crossed the Danube, was so struck by the dense forests, green fields and pristine rivers that solemnly exclaimed, "It will be Bulgaria." After the great battle against the Byzantine army in the area Ongal in 681 Bulgarians won the right to settle in these places and found a country with the Slavs. Thus was built the first capital of Bulgaria, Pliska. The ruins of Pliska are among the most impressive monuments of medieval architecture. The city was equipped with drainage and heating system. Can see the reconstruction of fortress walls 2.5 meters thick in each corner there was a trapezoidal tower defense. Here is the Grand Palace, built by Khan Municipality. This is the best preserved building in the complex. In this...

» read more

Nessebar - Old Town - 27 November 2011

Nessebar - Old Town

     Nessebar is situated on a small island that e tied to the mainland by causeway, 400mlong Nessebar is one of the oldest cities in Europe and the rich monuments ofmedieval Bulgaria. It is the successor of the ancient Thracian settlement Menebria,founded in the second millennium BC. Later, at the beginning of VI century BC,became a Greek colony (Mesembria) and an important commercial center. In '71 BC Mesembria falls under the authority of the Roman Empire, but remained relatively independent, such as the right to mint its own coins. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, Byzantine fortress town is of considerable importance, while notbeing conquered by Khan Krum in 812 d after 2-week siege.                      ...

» read more

Temple Monument "Alexander Nevsky" - Temples - 24 November 2011

Temple Monument "Alexander Nevsky" - Temples

Cathedral "St. Alexander Nevski" is postroena Orthodox Church in honor of Alexander II, called "Tsar Liberator" because in 1878 his army discharge Bulgaria 5-century occupation of the Ottoman Empire and bears his name. The temple is one of the symbols of Sofia and gives spiritual and cultural identity. Foundation stone was laid in 1882 for exceptional solemnity, and all construction was completed in 1912 after the old custom in the foundations of the temple is built in a metal box in which are recorded the names of members of the government. The church was designed by Russian architect Prof. Alexander Pomerantsev. At present cathedral "St. Alexander Nevski" is the second largest church in the Balkans after the Temple of Saint Sava (Serbian) and serves as a cathedral...

» read more